Wednesday 8 August 2012

Riced Cauliflower as a Rice Substitute


When I first heard about using cauliflower as a rice substitute I was skeptical. So a few months ago I decided to try it and was surprised at how good it was. Now I'm a cauliflower convert.
You might ask, "Why would anyone want to substitute something else for rice, anyway?" Some people, for medical reasons, cannot eat grains. Others are avoiding grains because they're on a diet. Rice has a lot of calories and is high in carbohydrates. Or maybe you're just looking for a way to get your family to eat more vegetables. Cauliflower rice is a great way to do that. Also, cauliflower is just plain fantastic for your health.
You can use cauliflower rice in any recipe that calls for rice. I've made Asian stir fries, Mexican rice, bean and rice burritos, chicken burritos, and risotto dishes. I'd like to try it in sushi rolls next.
So how is the basic rice done? Just take a head of raw cauliflower (preferably organic) and, using a food processor or a cheese grater, grate it into rice-sized bits.
Using a clean towel, press out as much of the moisture as you can from the grated cauliflower before using it in your recipe.
The rest is up to you. Season the rice however you want for the recipe you're preparing. I think you'll be as surprised as I was to find how good it can be and doubly surprised when vegetable-fearing members of your family start begging for more!
 Original Article Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger